Doctrine and Covenants 4:3

"Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work" -Doctrine and Covenants 4:3

Monday, November 2, 2015

Week 2, Saratoga Springs South

"Hi, I'm Sister Taylor. I'm from Logan. Yes, Logan Utah. Yes, it took me a few days to adjust to the idea, but I'm super excited to be here. I've been out a week and a half. Yep, I'm a greenie. I'm sorry, our dinner calender is full."

This is how basically every single one of my conversations begins. Sister Cruz and I have discussed just recording our answers and giving them to people when we meet them. :P 

Anyways, it's been a great week! I love being a missionary. It definitely gets hard some days, but it is so worth it!! Sister Cruz and I have a lot of fun. We have 5 people "on date" for baptism before the end of the month, so that's SUPER exciting. 

First, two things that I forgot to talk about last week. 
We dropped by our crazy friend Michelle's house. She's really funny. Her grandma doesn't like us very much, so we went to a lookout point looking over the lake for her lesson. She finished smoking her cigarette and then we read from the Book of Mormon. It was really cool to see her insights on things. We just have to keep her progressing. She tells us she's still reading, so that's nice!

Sister Cruz and I were doing companionship study when all of a sudden she looked behind me and screamed. My first thought was "murderer!". Then I realized that wasn't logical. Then I thought "spider!" and I panicked. But she's not afraid of spiders. Turns out she saw a mouse running across the doorframe of our bedroom. So I tried to find the mouse while she stood on her bed. It was really entertaining. We never did find that mouse......we have traps out though. 

Now to this week. 
We met with the Green's for a really cool lesson. Sister Green was baptized at one point, but Brother Green isn't a member. He wants to learn really slowly, but he has SO MANY questions. He thinks sort of how I do, wanting to map everything out. We helped him with Lehi's family tree. I think it's just a matter of time before he realizes that he knows that the church is true.

We met with Sister Flowers and her daughter, and her boyfriend Brother Selds, as well as some awesome neighbors. Brother Selds had some questions about the Book of Abraham that neither Sister Cruz or I knew the answer to. The next morning, during personal study, I got to work trying to find the answer. I found it on LDS.org and it PERFECTLY answered his question, and more! We sent Sister Flowers the link, and she forwarded it to Brother Selds. We met with them again yesterday, and though everyone there is pretty distractable, the Spirit was there, and we were able to set a time for his baptism. 

We also met with the Larsen kids, some cute foster kids who have taken the lessons like 5 times and know more about the gospel then most primary kids, but the foster system won't let them get baptized. Hopefully the court will decide they can this month. 

Yesterday we went to visit Brother McHaw again. SUCH a powerful lesson!! He is just solid! He reads the Book of Mormon with his daughter every morning, and bore a simple but powerful testimony of it. He is so ready to be baptized! It's going to be awesome!

One of my favorite lessons of the week came when we met with a recent convert, named Johanna. She is in high school and super busy, but trying to keep the Spirit with her all the time. We had her teach the lesson to us. She wants to serve a mission, and holy cow, she's going to be great!

We ate SO MUCH chili this week. We went to multiple chili cookoffs, and were served chili for dinner a few times. That would be fall in Utah! One of the coolest things that happened was we stopped at a chapel to use the bathroom and there was another chili cookoff going on. Neither Sister Cruz or I are good in big groups, so we went to the kitchen to help wash dishes. We started talking to this sweet mom named Samantha and her cute daughter Nida. When we told her our names, she asked why we called ourselves sisters! Just that morning we had studied "How to begin teaching" in PMG. That is one of the things it explains! It turns out that she just moved here, and loves the family aspect of the church. I asked her if we could come visit her, and she was totally open to it!! Woohoo!!!! 

HALLOWEEN! I hope you all had a wonderful Halloween! I sure did! We went and had dinner with our whole mission. We sat in groups by last name, so I wasn't with Sister Cruz....that was weird. But then we went to the TEMPLE!!! It was so cool to see an army of missionaries all in white. The Mt. Timpanogos temple is beautiful! Wonderful day! I just felt at home when we walked in. 

I've learned more of the power of the Book of Mormon this week. It is truly an inspired book. I just wish that I had studied it more before my mission! I challenge you all to read the Testimony of Joseph Smith and the Introduction at the front of the Book of Mormon this week. It will bring the Spirit. 

I love you all and would love to hear from you!! My mailing address is 

Sister Rechelle Taylor
Utah Orem Mission
612 W 100 S
Lindon, UT 84042

Love, 
Sister Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment